Astronomer's Friend has the best night sky tools for astronomy and astrophotography. Alerts for meteor showers, aurora (northern lights), super moons, lunar eclipses, and more. Integrated Light Pollution Map to find the best areas near you to see the night sky. Aurora overlay, cloud cover overlay, and more!
Light Pollution Map
Integrated Light Pollution Map helps you find the darkest places near you for the best viewing of the night sky.
Overlay an Aurora layer on the Light Pollution Map to see where the best viewing of the Northern Lights (Aurora) currently is.
Configure the app to send you alerts for the next Meteor Shower, Super Moon, or Lunar Eclipse. The app can also alert you when Aurora activity is high and viewing is good at your current location.
Moon Position Tool
Always know where the Moon will rise or set for any location, at any time and any date. Also has Moon Rise and Moon Set times.
Night Sky Calendar
Find the best days for meteor showers, lunar eclipses, and super moons for any day, past or present.
And a lot more!
Some features are not available in the free version and may require an additional in-app purchase.
Pro Version Features:
• All of the features in the free version, plus:
• Live Aurora overlay on the main map shows Aurora activity and where to find the best viewing.
• Cloud cover overlay on the main map to find clear sky locations at night.
• Local Aurora (Northern/Southern Lights) alerts and push notifications.
• Global Aurora Activity alerts and push notifications.
• Meteor shower alerts and push notifications.
• Super moon alerts and push notifications.
• Lunar eclipse alerts and push notifications.
• Save and load your favorite dark sky locations.
• Navigate to your saved locations using the Google Maps app.
• Adjust the local temperature and cloud cover % indicators to update as quickly as every 15 minutes instead of every 3 hours.
• Faster map loading.
• Faster image loading.
• Higher resolution map data.
• No advertisements.
• All new features to come to this app in the future, at no extra cost.
APP PERMISSIONS REQUIRED & EXPLAINED:
In-app purchases - used to upgrade the app.
Contacts - used to share the app with your friends at your choosing.
Location - used to find your location on the map.
SMS - used to share the app with your friends at your choosing.
Photos/Media/Files - used to store map tile images.
Storage - used to save locations at your choosing.
Receive data from internet - used to load the map and alerts.
View network connections - used to load the map over wifi.
Full network access - used to load the map.
Prevent device from sleeping - used to stop your device from sleeping while you are reading the map.
Read Google service configuration - used to load in-app-purchase data.