The Chinese Swimming Club first started in 1905 by 9 energetic young men who had called themselves the “Tanjong Katong Swimming Party”. By 1909, the name “Chinese Swimming Club” was adopted and this is where the Club history begins. Swimming, both as a recreation and competitive sport, was growing in popularity in the Club. In the early years, swimming and water polo still took place in the open seas at high tide. Subsequently, funds were raised to build pagars out into the sea to provide safe swimming for members and a venue for interclub competitions. In 1941, much to the excitement of the members, a new 3-storey Clubhouse as well as a proper 25m sea water swimming pool was opened.