Meet William Shakespeare, the Venerable Bede, Sir Joseph Banks, and a cast of colourful figures ready to take you on a journey through the annals of history. Along the way, you'll discover some of England's tallest tales, horrifying histories, magical myths, and larger-than-life legends.
- Hear the story of the giant who could lift 12 men at the Fitzwilliam Museum
- Walk in the footsteps of Roman Gladiators at Chester's Amphitheatre
- Discover the dark history of British justice and the tale of the Pendle Witches at Lancaster Castle
- Unearth slavery, ancient trolling, and the history of tea at Bath's historic Spa
- Explore the story of Shakespeare's entrepreneurial talents at Stratford's new place
A total-immersion tourist experience
All these stories and more will give you unique insight into the history of England's most stunning heritage buildings. Simply download the English Historic Cities app now and take it with you to one of our 12 essential locations around the UK:
- Bath city's Roman Baths
- Cambridge's Fitzwilliam Museum
- Carlisle's Tullie House Museum
- Chester's Roman Amphitheatre
- Durham Cathedral
- Greenwich borough, London
- Lancaster Castle
- Lincoln Cathedral
- Oxford's Bodleian Library
- Salisbury Cathedral
- Shakespeare's New Place at Stratford
- York Minster
When you arrive, you'll find special info hotspots dotted around your chosen location. Use your phone camera to activate an immersive augmented-reality experience that will unveil the hidden facts and stories that have helped to shape England's intricate heritage. Discover the key to a whole new world with:
- Immersive 3D environments
- Stylised parallax illustrations of historical scenes
- 360-degree panoramas of secret 'zero-access' locations
- Augmented reality information boards
- Before-and-after sliders showing the power of time
Unveiling the significance of history
England has some of the most striking locations in the world. From towering cathedrals to quaint towns and gorgeous residences, its historical beauty is second to none. To the many tourists that pass by them, however, the true significance of these marvels is often lost.
Did you know that:
- Lincoln Cathedral was the tallest structure in the world for 249 years?
- Scholars have been known to study themselves to death in Oxford's Bodleian Library?
- Carlisle has been put to siege more times than any other city in the UK?
- Astronomers at the Greenwich Observatory invented the concept of global time?
- Magna Carta - today housed in Salisbury Cathedral - is the document that inspired the U.S. Constitution?
For the first time, you can be sure not to miss out on the all essential details during your visit to the UK's most important locations. Using the English Historical Cities app, you can uncover the crucial detail that will make your trip a moving, inspirational journey through the nation's human history.